Even if you brush and floss every day, you may not completely remove plaque, especially around the gum line. This can create toxins which irritate the gums and bone and the bacteria can cause periodontal disease.
If you notice any of the following signs, see your dentist immediately:
- Gums that bleed easily.
- Red, swollen or tender gums.
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth.
- Pus between the teeth and gums when the gums are pressed.
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste.
- Permanent teeth that are loose or separating.
- Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite.
- Any changes in the fit of partial dentures.